Monday, November 9, 2009

You've got to see this.

These are from Sir Ken Robinson's, PhD, talk on creativity. It's a must see. (And I don't say that lightly.) If you have children, you need to see this.

"All kids have talents. And we squander them. Pretty ruthlessly."

"Creativity is as important in education as literacy; and we should treat it with the same status."

"If you're not prepared to be wrong, you're not going to come up with anything original."

"We don't grow into creativity, we grow out of it. In fact, we're educated out of it."

"The problem is we educate children progressively from the waist up. And then we focus on their heads, and slightly to one side."

Please, go take the few minutes it takes to watch this. He makes you laugh, keeps it interesting, and points up one of the most serious problems facing the children of today. The fact that our educational system critically handicaps them for the unknowable world into which we're all hurtling. I remember my best friend, in fifth grade, repeating: "They're trying to take my imagination away from me." I couldn't understand it . . . but then again, I didn't have the kind of rich, full imagination she did. I had already succumbed.

5 comments:

Thimbleanna said...

I've seen this video and it IS awesome! I thinking when my kids were little how goofy their great school was. When they were in the early years they were taught so many things about being creative and encouraged to do so. Yet, as they got older, any little move out of the box earned criticism. And the rules! How can one be creative in an environment so heavily laden with rules. Thanks for the reminder with this great video!

Shan said...

Thank you so much for posting this, it was amazing. Sometimes I feel uneasy about how much art and play we do in 'school', and this talk completely reassured me.

Thanks Annalea.

Annalea said...

I'm so glad, Shan. We do very little worksheet-style "3 R's" around here . . . and it's so good to see that my instinct has some powerful backing. :o)

ilse said...

great stuff, Annalea! :) hubby and i maintain such (but then, we are artists by vocation).

your [new?] blog look is beautiful!! i really, really like it! i mean, a LOT! :P

Annalea said...

Thanks, Ilse. I like it, too. lol It's from LeeLou Blogs:

http://leeloublogs.blogspot.com/search/label/Free%20Layouts.