Monday, November 22, 2010

Frustration

Would the folks who brought the stomach flu to church please stop it?  The rule of thumb is a full 24 hours symptom-free.  (Not "Well, s/he was sick last night, but today looks just fine.")

I have family in town (like many of you).  My brother and his family flew at great expense from Texas to spend the holiday with us, my parents, and my other brother & his family.  We only get to see them once every couple of years, and their visits are precious.  He and his wife have three small children, the oldest of which (at 4 years old) dearly loves to play with her cousins--which cousins are currently either running fevers or vomiting all over the place . . . and they played with my niece today (before they showed any symptoms).  It's looking like not only will any of my family be unable to attend the Thanksgiving celebration, but if my niece and her brothers were given the bug today, then they won't be able to, either.  Talk about a waste of a trip.  Instead of a wonderful holiday together, we've got stomach-churning messes to clean up.

I have a brand-new baby in the house, who hasn't been vomiting (praise heaven), but has been really fussy and hasn't slept much all day.  I'm beginning to wonder if he's got it, too.

I'm so short on sleep as it is . . . and instead of being able to go to bed tonight, I've been cleaning up various regurgitations.  It's now nearly eleven o'clock, and I'm feeling pretty frustrated.  Please, think next time before you bring recently-ill children to church.  (Even if it is the Primary Program that week, and you don't want your child to miss out on presenting his or her part . . . the consequences are just too unfair for those of us who stay home when we're sick, and trust that others will, too.)

Thank you.  I now return to my regularly-scheduled clean-up efforts . . .