Saturday, October 6, 2007

Good Tidings of the Season

No, I don't mean Christmas. (Although Costco already has their Yuletide merchandise out. Yikes.)

We've been doing a little festive decorating, some of which is shown here. First, you have the wreaths . . .




These are very simple to make. You buy a small grapevine wreath and a fall floral pick. Disassemble the pick, and then put it all on the wreath. This one has a few added birch leaves from the neighbor's tree.



The beauty of the floral pick route is that the composition is already made for you. A 59¢ wreath and a $1.39 pick (don't'cha love sales?), a few dabs of hot glue for the spots where the wire bases of the pick components don't suffice, and you're in business.

Here's the final product:



Not bad, if I do say so myself. The ribbon isn't wired, hence the pretty drape. (Ack--I've got to go fix that ribbon on the right!) It looks like a solid color, but it's really minute stripes of bright fall colors; red, yellow, orange, and even blue. It's really nifty up close.

I have visions of all kinds of seasonal wreaths hanging from that shelf . . . Christmastime wreaths with holly, ivy, evergreen branches and touches of gold; Winter wreaths with white, blue and silver, sparkling with iridescent glitter; Springtime with cheery pastel flowers and long blades of grass, and maybe a bird's nest or two; Valentine wreaths with sweet deep red rosebuds . . . and I could go on and on. ;o) And do you know where I got the idea? Her name was Lucy.

I used to see Lucy in old Lillian Vernon catalogs; you know, those thick little books that were Wal-Mart in your mailbox? I loved those things. They had strange things I'd never use, (t-shirts that read "Old Fart", or example), funny things (t-shirts that said "I may be Opinionated, but I'm Always Right!), lovable things (tiny dollhouse furniture, miniatures of just about everything--including a glow-in-the-dark nativity I bought in 6th grade), and those "never knew I couldn't live without it until I saw it in there" items like fuzzy foot warmers and change counting/sorting/rolling banks.

So, go out there and do something creative, will you? And if you already have, blog it, and send me a link. I'd love to see what the changing seasons have sparked in you!