Monday, August 11, 2008

Welcome to the Pacific Northwest.

I thought I understood what the flora and fauna here would be like.

There would be roses (of course):





Funny names:


(I love that. Boring Bark! lol)



No more of this:



And plenty of trees . . .

And then Vern and I were talking one night. We got up to call it a night, and Vern cried out: "What on earth is THAT???"



Upon closer inspection, this is what we saw . . . Impressive, no? (Of course Vern knew what it was after a few seconds. He was just really surprised to see something so big and icky on the carpet.)



At about five inches long, s/he was a respectable specimen. (They're androgynous, you know.) S/he looked around a bit . . .



and I felt almost as if s/he was inspecting me.



We gave it a one-way trip outside, and figured s/he must have hitched a ride in on something we had carried in from the porch a while earlier.

Sweet dreams . . . (don't worry, they can't climb up bed posts . . . I think ;o)

7 comments:

Blue's Dad said...

I saw your great pics of the slugs and thought you might like my children's story about slugs. You'll find it on the right side of my blog. bluesdad.blogspot.com Have a wonderful day in the great Northwest!

Thimbleanna said...

Eeeeewwww! In the house -- how funny! Glad you're feeling better. Love the pics of the roses and your beautiful new living room!

Birrd said...

I LOVE banana slugs! They're so neat! They were one of my favorite things about living in the Pacific Northwest. Enjoy! They're better than brown recluse spiders!

Shan said...

I've never seen a slug inside a house before - that's wild.

By the way: those are on a strict salt-on-sight policy - they eat gardens.

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to show this to my hubby Larry - he is totally freaked out by(and afraid of)slugs! I keep reminding him they can't possibly run as fast as he can!!!

Polish Princess said...

oops - didn't intend to be anonymous.

Love ya.

Jenni Thomas said...

Hahaha! Welcome to slug country. :) So are you guys in Oregon or Washington? Your pics of Tualatin made me confused. LOL Sorry you are so homesick though. :( Don't worry I am sure you will make some great new friends in no time.