Thursday, May 31, 2007

Some nifty handspun.

I have three skeins, and they aren't a matched set. Compliment each other nicely, yes. Match, no way. I've been trying to figure out what to do with them, but haven't come up with much yet. The darker skeined one is spun in the grease, and has a wonderful lanolin smell. The photos don't do them justice, really. The camera has a hard time picking up both the dark & light fibers and doing them justice side-by-side. Just try to use your imagination, if you would. ;o)

I bought these quite a while ago, sight-unseen. I know now that the spinning isn't the best, but I haven't tried washing them or setting the twist. I'm hoping that will help, and make them easier to work with. I still like them more than I probably should, though. ;o)

When I first received this, I wound the last ball and tried knitting a Warm Heart Woolies soaker with it, but didn't get very far. The over-twisted sections were just too hard to manage, and the variations in thickness and really dense nature of the yarn made for a fairly unyielding fabric. Not a good thing for sensitive baby skin.

Anyway, here 'tis. Any ideas, anyone?



This first photo is pretty close to real. The light fibers aren't quite that bright.



This one is the closest to reality of the lot.



(This one is a lot darker, and more chocolate-y.)

Have a great Thursday!