Thursday, May 3, 2007

Stealth Project: Sweet River

The other night I was feeling tired and a little shaken up by some family stuff (long story short, it's all okay now), and I just wanted to have some nice, soft yarn in my hands and knit something pretty. (I had been struggling with a couple other lace projects (my very first), and just needed something simpler around which to wrap my brain.) My eyes landed on a skein of purple Knit Picks Decadence, and I began flipping through my one stitch dictionary. A lace pattern caught my eye, and the chart made sense to me for a change. With just two patterned rows, and something other than "purl every stitch" on the return rows, (each stitch is worked as presented--purls are purled and knits are knit), its appeal grew on me. So, I picked up my yarn and started something. Here's what happened. :o)



Looks kinda nifty in real life . . . honest it does. Well . . . let's just call this progress shot a "driver's license photo" and move on. Here's a more flattering shot:



And no, that little hand in the bottom left isn't over-exposed. We're seriously white around here. lol

So, without further ado, here's how you, too, can knit a Sweet River. (Much better than crying a river, I'd say. :o)


Sweet River (Beta)

You can download a pdf copy here: Sweet River PDF

This little scarf happened one evening when I needed some comfort knitting, and had lace on the brain. Adapted from “Gentle Curves” in The Big Book of Knitting Stitch Patterns, this piece has a moss stitch border and only two pattern rows to remember. The instructions are written out below, with a lace chart to follow.

I used one skein of Knit Picks Decadence in Grape, and it made a scarf long enough to go nicely under my winter coat. (Not that I’ll need it anytime soon, since it’s Spring already . . . ) If you want to use a much lighter weight yarn, just add a repeat or two across to make it wider. (If that's confusing, just knit one full repeat as a swatch, and you'll get it.)

Gauge doesn’t matter a whole lot–my scarf was about 5 ½" wide, unblocked. I’ll update the file with finished dimensions once I do get it blocked. Since this is the first rev of the pattern, I'd appreciate comments, especially the "Hey! You messed up this one thing on row 14 . . . " if you have any.

Let the games begin!

Co 35 st.

Rows 1-4: k1, p1 across. (You should end with a knit stitch.)

Row 5: (k1, p1, k1) (moss border stitches), k29, (k1, p1, k1)

Row 6: (k1, p1, k1), p29, (k1, p1, k1)

Rows 7-8: Repeat rows 5-6.

Row 9: (k1, p1, k1), (Lace pattern begins) p1, yo, k4, ssk, p1, k2tog, k4, yo, p1, yo, k4, ssk, p1, k2tog, k4, yo, p1, (k1, p1, k1).

Row 10: (k1, p1, k1), work next 29 stitches as they appear and purl all yo’s, (k1, p1, k1)

Row 11-14: Repeat rows 9-10 twice.

Row 15-18: Repeat rows 5-6 twice.

Row 19: (k1, p1, k1), p1, k2tog, k4, yo, p1, yo, k4, ssk, p1, k2tog, k4, yo, p1, yo, k4, ssk, (p1, k1, p1, k1).

Row 20: (k1, p1, k1), work next 29 st as they appear, purling all yo’s, (k1, p1, k1)

Row 21-24: Repeat rows 19-20 twice. One pattern repeat completed. Repeat rows 5-24 until your scarf is long enough to suit you.


(Just click on this baby to bring up a truly monstrously huge version.)

Chart notes: This pattern is worked over a multiple of 14 stitches, plus one (the first or last, whichever way you want to look at it). I used two sets of 14, with that “plus one” tacked on the end to make it symmetrical. Usually I find written lace instructions easier to memorize and understand, but with this one, the chart makes it a piece of cake. After one full repeat, I’m sure that you’ll be leaving the pattern in the work basket, or even at home when you take this to your Knit Night. :o)

And remember, you can download a pdf version here: Sweet River PDF

Questions, comments, or accolades? Bring ‘em on. PassionateMind@gmail.com

Annalea blogs at http://ThePassionateMind.blogspot.com.