Monday, July 16, 2007

A recipe for Monday: Summer Bean Dip

I sent this to a friend yesterday, and thought I'd share the love all 'round. :o)


Summer Bean Dip

2 big cans refried pinto beans (we like Rosarita's homestyle)
1 c. plain whole milk yogurt (2 c. if it's low fat)
2 T taco seasoning (About 1 packet. I often make my own, so it's in bulk.)
1/2-1 c. good salsa (Herdez Salsa Casera is my favorite)
2+ c. Finely shredded cheddar cheese
Good tortilla or corn chips for dipping.
Optional: sliced olives, green chiles

Mix the taco seasoning into the yogurt, and put the yogurt, beans & salsa in a pan. Mash it all together. If it's hot out, we serve it cold with the cheese sprinkled on top. (Because it's grated so fine, you don't have to melt it in.) If it's cool enough to start the stove up, I heat it up and melt the cheese into it. Spoon into bowls and sprinkle sliced olives and/or green chilies on top. Dig in with the tortilla chips. ;o)

The plain yogurt is much better for you than sour cream, and gives the same tangy creaminess. We get Brown Cow whole milk yogurt, (you get all the vitamins that way, and it tastes waaaaay better). You can also fry up some ground turkey (or meat of your choice) with onions, if you really want to get fancy. Serve it on a bed of shredded lettuce & carrots with a side of Spanish rice for a real authentic flavor. But if you make it up as listed above, dinner is ready in less than 10 minutes. (It can be 5, if you can get one of the kids to set the table!)

I really like this for breakfast, since I need a high-er protein start to my day, and get really tired of cottage cheese every morning. (I used to be able to eat eggs, but not since the last pregnancy.) But I'll spare you the details . . . at least until I put them into a proper post. I used to really love food, but it has turned into a regular chore. :o(

Anyway, this is a very yummy, fast dinner that beats the drive thru window, hands down. Put a salad on the table, and you've got a good, fiber-rich, nutritious meal. Did you know that beans are an excellent source of vitamin C?