Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Naughty, naughty girl . . .

And no, it's not what you think. ;oP I've been painting.

Yep. Blue, in the boys' room.

Before a small painting experiment this summer, (remember this? Just scroll to the bottom), our home was entirely builder-white inside. Blech. I can say that it makes for a lighter interior in the winter, which we all need dreadfully here in the land-of-very-little-winter-sun, but I just couldn't take it anymore. It was either paint, or hang lots and lots of colored lights . . . and they just end up looking messy.

Luckily, I didn't give up on that horrible Barbie-skin-gone-wrong/painted over in pink acrylic crafts paint wall. It turned into this:



Not bad, eh? (And don't you love how a camera can take straight lines, and bend them? Although with some of the framing in this house, the camera doesn't have to do much.

So anyway, I got things out this afternoon to slap a test swatch on the wall, to be sure I liked the color (Behr's Cumberland Fog). And while I was at it, I wanted to try out the really nifty tool the paint guy at Home Depot sold me that is supposed to do edges and corners and around trim without masking.

Soooo . . .



And it was so much fun, I thought I'd do all along the ceiling so DH wouldn't have to, come Saturday.



Except, well. More than the edge along the ceiling got painted. (Sorry for the sea-sick orientation of that shot. The wall really is straight . . . I had to measure and level that line today. It's good.) Since it was a spur-of-the-moment thing, I didn't patch holes or sand down old patched holes (from where my senior munchkinette, then 4 1/2, accidentally tore the curtains out of the wall when this was her room), and so things look a little patchy.



Especially here . . .



I ran out of paint. But all in all, that's not bad coverage for one quart, no? I was pretty impressed. With only about 8oz more paint, I could have made one complete coat. It kind of stinks to have to go buy another quart to finish, but I guess I'll live. (I do have enough to paint the lower portion of the wall . . . I just ran out of time between lunch cleanup and dinner prep.)

It's really nice to have some part of the house NOT white. Even though the boys are sleeping in the living room tonight, and probably will for another couple nights, I'm excited to get this job finished and see how it looks.

Speaking of which, it's time for a change on this blog, don't'cha think?

P.S.) I've been knitting, and thinking over the Christmas Tin ideas, and I'll give an update on those soon. ;o)